Cinco de Mayo flambé with Chef Pat Newton
Flambé with Chef Pat Newton to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Learn the history of this Mexican celebration, and get ready to get red, white and green - the Mexican way. Join him on May 5th at 5pm LIVE, or cook with him on-demand with Hyr Live.
Measurements available on the Recipe Card (click PDF link below).
• flour tortillas
• chili powder
• cumin powder
• hot sauce
• vegetable oil
• white onion
• white vinegar
• tequila blanco
Tequila flambé shrimp cones with avocado crema
1. Start by making the avocado crema by placing all crema ingredients in a blender. Pulse and purée till smooth. Use a spatula to empty and pour into a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat a medium sauce pot with oil to 300f.
3. Roll the tortilla halves into cones and secure with a toothpick. Repeat till all done.
4. Fry the cones in the oil till golden. About 1-2 mins. Dry on paper towel and crack fresh sea salt to season.
5. In a small bowl dust shrimp with flour, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Toss to coat.
6. Heat a large frying pan with oil. Sear shrimp till golden and crispy on each side. About 2 mins a side. Pour in tequila blanco and flambé. Add butter and hot sauce. Toss to coat.
7. To assemble pipe avocado salsa into tortilla cones, top with flambé shrimp and spoon a bit of sauce on each, garnish with cilantro leaves and pair with festive cocktail!