Chicken Taquitos with Avocado Crema
Create a fiesta of flavours with Chef Pat Newton as he teaches you to make chicken taquitos with avocado crema. In this fun and interactive class, you’ll learn the difference between a taco and a taquito, and how to master this crispy, crunchy, and oh-so-incredibly easy dish.
Recommended tool list and ingredient measurements are available on the Recipe Card (click link).
Mise En Place:
Before the event starts, let's get your mise en place ready! Chef Pat has already created a video for you preparing the mise en place that you can watch on-demand.
Pre heat oven to 400f.
On a baking sheet, pat chicken legs (8 legs) dry with paper towel, season with salt and pepper and rub with a drizle of olive oil.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the skin is golden and crispy.
Let the chicken cool completely before shredding it off the bone using forks.
Pick over the bones completely to make sure all the meat has been removed.
Discard the bones, or you can keep them frozen in a zip lock bag to use the next time you make soup or stock!
2 or 3 pickeled jalepenos (spice it up or down!)
The stems of the fresh cilantro
4 garlic cloves, 2 for the chicken filling + 2 for the avocado crema
1/2 of an onion
2/3 of a cup of Oaxaca cheese
2/3 of a cup fo Jack cheese
1/2 cup of Feta cheese
Once your mise en place is in order, you will cook with Chef Pat using the method below.
1. Pre heat the oven to 425f. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl mix together shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, jalapeños, chopped cilantro stems, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder and a few good cracks of salt & pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat up tortillas in the microwave, or wrap them in foil in the oven untill soft and bendy. Keep warm in a damp kitchen or paper towel.
3. Spread a large spoonful of chicken filling on one side of the tortilla. Place a pinch of each cheese next to the filling and roll it up tight.
4. Place it seam side down on the baking sheet and secure it by sticking it with a toothpick in the center. Repeat untill all tortilla are filled.
4. Bake until crispy and golden, about 15 mins.
5. While they are in the oven make the avocado crema by placing avocado, sour cream, onion, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, salt & pepper into a blender or food processor. Pulse to break up. Pour into a piping bag, ziplock or squeeze bottle.
6. When the tacos are crispy and golden, take them out of the oven, plate and top with pico de Gallo and drizzle avocado crema.